Monday 23 April 2018

Puppy Classes - Part 1

Well,

Aren't I doing well with the updates. I regailed the story of Humphrey's first puppy class to my parents in Spain and promptly got told this is hilarious! Write a blog post! So here it is!

Lets start with our day shall we. I took Humph's for a late walk as I didn't want Frank to make an appearance during class. Fail from the moment I thought that! I decided to take him down the old railway line - It's been sunny so it will be nice and dry... WRONG! Humphrey found the muddiest, yuckiest puddle at the side of the track, I said NO! he looked at me, thought about what I said, and went in head first, and came out BLACK!!! Sods law as I gave him a bath yesterday! So further down we went and I found the clean(ish) stream and made him paddle in it! Yes!! Slightly cleaner! But not clean enough and a second - underbelly only - bath when we got home!

Dinner eaten by both of us it was time to get Humphrey ready, collar back on - No Problems! Lead on! Humphrey decided now would be an appropriate time to play chase! - I thought we were going to be late! Luckily, we were on time!

CLASS IS IN SESSION!
 WE walked in and were obviously last to arrive! I instantly noticed Humphrey's twins!!! Albeit it slightly smaller versions! I'm secretly thinking to myself - by god Humphs you better be better than them!

I took my seat - next to a small pug! 14 weeks old! By the name of Lily! My first mistake! Lilly was quite clearly the flirt of the group! She showed Humph's her bottom and he was hooked! Oh No! Thankfully Lily did the same to Barney and Hazel (Humph's twins) but neither of them were as taken in as Humphrey was!

Session begins and Hazel is chosen to demonstrate first, can she show a good sit! Oh yes she can! (BALLS) please don't pick Humphrey, I'm not sure he'll listen! The first 3 dogs then went up! All of them could sit and stand! Next step - Down! Uh oh - I know Humphrey can sit but he's not once done down! This is first time for us - God I hope he can do it! Out of the first 3 dogs only Odie, a small Jack Russell - Didn't get down, Apparently its harder for dogs with Shorter legs - excellent - Humphs may look big but hes a short arse too!

And we're up - Sit - Yes good boy ! Stand - Yes good boy! Down - You know what Rach - I think I'll just squat - half go down - Trainer said treat him and just make sure he goes lower next time - and turn hand over so he cant see the treat - Tried it! Yes!!!!! The boy got down!!! Next Sit and stay for 5seconds and 10 seconds - Yes! Can't touch us we're the dream team - I should NEVER have thought this!  From that moment on - Humphrey became Frank! The entire time we were sat down he was playing with his lead, chewing my hand, eyeing up Lily, trying to sniff Barney - who just sat still next to his owner and watched on - show off! Trying to sniff Hazel - who was mostly like Barney but gave the occasional sniff back. And then barking at the trainer and Cora on the other side of the room - who thankfully was talking back!

Then we tried look - This one was done sitting down and Humphrey mastered it instantly!!! Good effort!

Then 'come' - Barney was chosen to demonstrate - I distinctly remember his owner looking panicked at our puppyless session - for this week her dog to be the best behaved - in her words, she said this was unusual and a one off and he was most definitely showing off! (IF HE ISN'T A PAIN NEXT WEEK THEN I'LL BE UPSET!)

Barney obviously did it perfectly - and then because Humphrey was whining and barking - he was chosen next - off he went with Lesley - he did it right and got a treat and then came back and turned into Frank again! Sod! Now it was our turn.

We were told have a treat in our hand, call the dog and run backwards, then treat with one hand and grab the collar with the other. Now earlier on Cora was being a bit noisy so she was given a rawhide to chew on whilst we were waiting  - this was left on the floor  - at the end of the hall where I was stood - Lesley let go of Humphrey - he came running to me all happy and then at the last minute - sprinted off towards the chew! Balls! Off to the other end I went and he did it - Phew! Who left that bloody chew there! You're making my dog look bad!

Then it was Lilly's turn! Now thankfully - Lily didn't even look at her owner - off she went saying Hi to all the boys - Humphrey's attention was gone again! Frank wanted to pull, tug and be a general ass! Oh no!

Then she demonstrated leave it! One for us to work on and made us do everything again - this time though down had a 10 second wait on it as well! He mastered the lot! Thank god.

Overall he performed well when we were actually training - just didn't like sitting and waiting! to be honest neither do I. Although I am mostly just glad Humphrey didn't shit on the floor! 

A run down of the dogs at class - my first impressions of them

Barney - A cocker poo - the same colour as Humphrey but a fair bit smaller - The SHOW OFF!! (his owners words - just seconded by the rest of the group.

Cora - A black lab - Yappy to begin with - calmed down and Yappy towards the end - turned out she was whinging because she needed a poo! 

Buddy - Black Cocker spaniel - playful  - full of energy - just wanted to be on the go and you could tell

Odie - Jack Russell (I think) he was small and dinky - a bit whingy - concentration not there at all times

Hazel - The other cocker poo - Could do everything - Not quite as good as Barney - The wannabe show off - but occasionally distracted

Lily - The flirt - Didn't give a damn what was happening at training - just wanted to Distract Humphrey and flirt with him, then leave him high and dry when she flirted with someone else!

And Humphrey - Did really well during training - got a bit impatient and barky - definitely in the middle of the pack - room for improvement and practise to be done!!!

and I am done.... that was a long one!!!


Bye from Me and Frank!!



No comments:

Post a Comment